One of the biggest challenges of identifying a water leak under slabs, is that by nature they don’t show up or become apparent for some time. Since the water pipes are under your floors, gravity tends to pull water away from your floors, so they stay hidden and undiscovered. Until of
- Leakspottersare experts in leak detection, identifying a water leak under slabs & our quick response team will save you even more! Get in touch
course, you receive your water bill and get a nasty shock! Good news is, they can be found under concrete or deep in ground. And other than an unusually high bill, sometimes there are subtle signs that could indicate a hidden leak under your concrete.
You should suspect a water leak under your slab, if you notice:
- Sounds of running water, even when all water is turned off
- A hot spot on the floor – which could indicate a hot water line leak
- Cracks in walls or flooring – as the concrete shifts and causes movement of your house
- Excessive moisture, mildew, dampness or musty smell from under your carpets – which could indicate your slab is cracked
To locate the leak:
You need to know the layout of the pipework under your slab foundation. Of course, since it’s all buried somewhere under the concrete, it seems like an impossible feat! Fortunately there are ways and technology to help other than having X-ray vision or bringing out the jackhammer!
Trace wires are useful when the main is plastic, or when pipes are buried quite deep. The trace wire is inserted inside the pipe, allowing us to follow the line of the plastic and determine the layout of the pipework. A frequency and reader is then used to locate the position of the leak once the pipe is traced. Depending on surroundings and the ground material, leaks can also be picked up with audio detection.
Whichever method is necessary to find the leak, it is wise to use a specialist in leak detection, as the specialised equipment and expertise will not only save you time and money, but also the potential headache of digging in the wrong places! Leakspotters are experts in leak detection, and our quick response team will save you even more! Get in touch today.
Related Tag: Leak Detection Brisbane